Friday, July 14, 2006

Dream Dinners Alternative

Well, I did try the Dream Dinners demo and it was cool, but I thought it was probably a bit too pricey for me. Especially since I do know how to cook and I don't mind doing it. I do like the idea of the freezing ahead, so I was thrilled to receive an email from Leanne at Saving Dinner saying that they have developed a menu that is an alternative to Dream Dinners.

Basically, it's the same idea as Dream Dinners, you assemble and freeze your meals ahead of time. The difference is that you do the prepping and clean-up and use Leanne's recipes. It's only $8.95 and for that, you get the menus and recipes for 22 meals that I would then freeze. According to the info. on this, it should use common, fresh ingredients. I don't need 22 frozen dinners, so I might be tempted to try it if I could split it with 1-2 other people!

I have used Saving Dinner in the past. The regular "Menu-Mailer" program that she promotes on her website is great. The concept is that every week, she emails you a list of 6 meals including the recipes and the corresponding grocery list to go with it. All her meals are nutritious (she's a dietician/nutritionist) and easy to prepare (most in about 30 minutes). It's fairly inexpensive and for like $0.07 a day you don't even have to think about what you're eating for dinner or what you need to buy. You just go to the store once a week and buy the ingredients.

The great thing about the menu-mailers is that she has custom menus, like frugal, low-carb, vegetarian, crock-pot, southern hemisphere and maybe even a kosher menu.

Anyway, I might give it a try! It sounds worth looking into!

Update: We're finally tried it on Sunday, October 15, 2006!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that sounds really cool! I'd be into that! is it 22 individual meals, or group meals that feed 22 altogether. is the $8.95 a weekly charge? cause that could add up... sounds interesting though. perhaps I should check out the website and answer these questions myself instead of pestering you... :)

Stephanie said...

It's 22 meals and each meal serves about 4-6. It's a flat $8.95 for the all the information (shopping list, recipes, instructions) for 22 meals. Apparently, this is something new they are trying and if it's popular, they might start putting out new ones every few months.

Dawn said...

You know, I would be more interested if I knew that there wasn't going to be a bunch of stuff that I don't like (her book has salmon and other stuff that I just can't cook for the boys). If you buy that, let me know what you think of the recipes.