Thursday, July 06, 2006

I talked to a stranger today

I have worked at my job for over 11 years. I was hired on as an administrative assistant which is basically a long title for receptionist. I sat at the front desk, answered the phones with a clear view of the sidewalk and street right in front of our building. Every day, I'd see this guy walk by in the afternoon who had this plodding, methodical walk. He always had a beard/mustache, usually had a backwards baseball cap of some sort on his head, would be listening to his Walkman, carried a black backpack and often was wearing a long, black trench coat even when it was hot outside. He looked like (warning: stereotype ahead) a guy who played D&D all the time and lived in his mom's basement.

I eventually moved to an office in the hall, so I didn't have a view of the sidewalk and street right in front of our building. Still, I'd see this guy walking on the sidewalk as I drove home or if I went up to the front desk to talk to the receptionist. Once I mentioned him to my assistant and she looked up and said that she had never noticed him before. I couldn't believe it because he walks by every single day. I don't know how she could've not noticed. Maybe she was doing more work than I was when I was up at that desk!

I've always wondered what his story is. Well, today, I happened to be at the red light near our work and he happened to be standing on the corner. I don't think I've ever seen him stand still. So, I did what every curious person would do! I rolled down my window and said, "Excuse me, could I ask you a question? Where do you work?" He looked at me like I was odd and I gave a quick explanation about how I've seen him all these years and always wondered what the deal was. He does work on my street and lived in Burbank (I pointed in the correct direction) and now he moved to Valley Village and takes the bus home. And I found out that his name is David and we shook hands. After all this, I really didn't know what to say, so I just said, "OK, see you around!"

The funny thing is that he totally looks like he wouldn't be that friendly and when I said that I had seen him all these years and wondered what his story was, he cracked a joke about being a man of mystery and it was funny and he sounded really easy-going. I'm glad that I talked to a stranger today. Now I don't have to wonder. Now I can just beep and say "Hi!"

No comments: