Monday, October 16, 2006

Saving Dinner Mega Menu Mailer

Whew! That's all I have to say! We chopped, sliced, diced, cut and assembled a total of 74 meals. We worked our hands to the bone and had a great time!! I purchased Mega Menu Mailer 2 and we got together yesterday at my apartment with its small kitchen and had a great time assembling all the meals. Actually, aside from my weird perfectionist tendancies, I think we all had a fun time. It took about 4 1/2 hours to assemble everything and another 1/2 hour to divvy everything up and pack'em up to go home.

I did most of the shopping on Saturday and the bulk of it was at Sunland Produce which is AMAZING! I have known about this place for years, but just never actually made it over there! I had done some pricing at Costco earlier in the week so I had an idea of how much it "could've" cost. Sunland Produce had boneless, skinless chicken breasts for $1.79/lb as opposed to Costco's (and Vons') $2.99/lb. Considering I had to buy 20+ lbs, we ended up saving $25 just on chicken. And the produce! It looked as good (if not better) than Vons and the prices were WAY less! Red bell peppers - Vons: $3.49/lb, Sunland: $1.19/lb. Ridiculous!

The good news is that thanks to Sunland Produce and Costco, the cost of all the groceries was about $330 to make DOUBLE the Mega Menu Mailer 2. And then we split a lot of the recipes into servings for 2 people vs. the 4 servings. So, everyone ended up with about 10 meals or so.


The fruits of our labor View 1


The fruits of our labor View 2

We are going to eat them up and then see how well we like the meals. If we like them, we'll probably end up doing it again in a month or two! I'll report back on the taste of the meals!

Sunland Produce
8840 Glenoaks Blvd.
Sun Valley, CA 91352
(818) 504-6629

3 comments:

Dawn said...

I'd like to know what you think of those recipes. I think it's a good idea, but there are too many items on the menu that I don't think I can serve at my house. I wish that we had someplace like Sunland around here! The closest thing would probably be the Walmart or Target.

Stephanie said...

I am going to try the Saucy Pork Stirfry tomorrow night. Val has tried the Greek burgers and Polynesian flank steak and like both of them.

Sunland Produce is awesome. I will be shopping there all the time in the future!! Leeks sold by the bunch $1.19 for 1-2, not sold by the pound like Vons!!

SJeanneM said...

We have personally done this menu mailer here at my house and we loved it! It's such a great stress reliever and the food was good and wholesome too!