Monday, November 12, 2007

Hypothetical Situation

It's often interesting, but almost pointless to talk about hypothetical situations. I say it's pointless because so many times, people say they'd handle a situation a certain way, but then don't actually follow through. How many people think or say they wouldn't put up with a cheating spouse and yet don't dump them when it actually happens? Probably more than you'd think.

During all three dates I had this past week, the topic of cheating on a spouse came up in one fashion or another. A couple were stories about friends and how things were handled and one was a hypothetical situation.

The question was, "If you found out one of your friends was dating a married man, would that affect your friendship?" To me, the answer to that is a slam dunk. It absolutely would affect how I thought of that friend and if it was clear to me that it was going to continue, I certainly would not make an effort to keep up a friendship with that person. Someone who would knowingly contribute to the downfall of another person's marriage is not a friend I want to have around. I know there are always circumstances, but in the basic sense of that hypothetical situation, that was my answer.

Then came the "What if"s... And then more what-ifs, which I totally understand on a certain conversational level. But then on another, why so many questions about that particular topic? I'll have to ask him the next time I see him.

No comments: