Saturday, June 24, 2006

The Kitchen in Silverlake

We went to The Kitchen in Silverlake for Jackie's birthday dinner this past April. It was the usual crowd: myself, Shane, Lana, Jackie and Gary with a couple additions... Lana's parents visiting from Atlanta. They were in town for the week and headed out to Las Vegas and visiting family in the area.

Lana's parents

I had been to The Kitchen once before and ordered the Pistachio Crusted Salmon with mango-currant chutney ($14) which was excellent! Jason had ordered the Fish and Chips ($10) which was also very good, mainly because the texture of the fish was flaky and tender.

We started out with the Mac & Cheese and as often happens, everyone has a different idea of how macaroni and cheese should be made. I thought it was OK, but I think I prefer something a little less on the dry side. It looked good though and everyone seemed to like it. I think I'm just a little pickier with my mac & cheese love.

Mac & Cheese

Even though I loved the salmon, I tried something different this time. I ordered the Sesame-Soy Grilled Flank Steak with balsamic reduction, wasabi mashed potatoes & sauteed veggies ($15). It was good. Unfortunately (and I have NO idea why!), I did not get a picture of my dish.

The popular dish at our table was the Buttermilk Fried Chicken ($13). I had read reviews online about The Kitchen and it seemed like this was the standout favorite among online reviewers. I think 3 out of 7 people ordered this and they all loved it. I had a bite and it was pretty good, especially considered it's a boneless, skinless breast!

Buttermilk Fried Chicken without Gravy

Lana ordered the Pork Chops with Goat Cheese Potato Latkes ($14) and she liked her food too.

Pork Chops

The Kitchen is in a "trendy" part of town and all the servers look really hip, but the two times I have been there, I've received really good service (and I do not look like a hipster at ALL!) and had really good food for a reasonable price. If you think about how Marie Callender's is charging $10 for a hamburger these days, $14 for a delicious salmon dish is excellent! It's a small restaurant with outside seating. I would imagine they get very crowded on the weekend mornings and later for dinner. Both times I went were during slower times (3 PM on a Saturday and 6:30 PM on a Friday). I'd recommend checking it out. The menu isn't extensive, but there's something for everyone, even our resident vegetarian. They do offer brunch on weekend mornings, but I have yet to try that as I'm not a big breakfast food lover.

The Kitchen
4348 Fountain Ave (at Sunset Blvd.)
Los Angeles, CA 90029
(323) 664-3663

Hours:
Monday - Thursday: 5 PM - 12 AM
Friday: 5 PM - 1 AM
Saturday: 11 AM - 1 AM
Sunday: 11 AM - 10 PM

No comments: