Monday, March 10, 2008

"Boyfriend" Update

It's been a while since I've done an update on how things are going with 42. We just spent the past weekend together and I think we're both in agreement that this was our best weekend yet! The first few were good, but I always felt like there was something missing at the end of them. But this time was different. I didn't feel like there was a missing piece, which was a huge relief.

We had a great time... He took me to the park and he taught me how to throw a Frisbee in a whole new way for me. He plays Ultimate and he's awesome at throwing that thing! I was already OK at the "normal" way of throwing (thanks to coaching from Seth last year), but this new way was pretty fun too. We did that until it started raining and then headed home for some Race for the Galaxy!

That night, I met some friends he's known since high school. Those guys were pretty fun! I can see why he likes hanging out with them every week. On Saturday, he took me to meet his parents. I had no idea before I arrived for the weekend that that was the plan, so I was a bit surprised! On our way, we picked up his brother, so I got to meet his immediate family. His parents are really nice and just really sweet people. The best part was I felt like I got to know him better by seeing where he comes from. And of course, could I imagine having them for in-laws? Yeah, I could. Oh, and they seemed to like me too, so that part of the weekend went really well.

Oh... I know I called this my "boyfriend" update, but here's something I haven't really mentioned previously: we're not technically "boyfriend/girlfriend." I had previously said that I had a boyfriend, but after further examination (you know, like having a conversation with him!), I found out that we weren't dating exclusively, at least not in his opinion. Not that either one of us is seeing/pursuing anyone else (at least not that I know of, but who knows?), we're just not seeing each other "exclusively." I go through mental gymnastics about this every day (sometimes multiple times a day!), but for now, I'll just have to stick it out. At least until I can't stand it anymore. I still view him as my unofficial boyfriend, whether that's right or wrong. I just don't call him that anymore in conversation. I just use his name or "the guy I'm dating." And so far as I know, he doesn't refer to me as his girlfriend, so I think we're OK there. As far as dating other people, I just don't have much interest to actively seek anyone else out. I guess I could technically date someone else, but I'll just cross that bridge when I come to it. I want to see how things go with him first

And so far, they seem to be going well! Definitely better than they were a week or two ago. One good sign is that when we talked today about our next rendezvous and he said that the next completely free weekend for him was the third weekend in April, I was upset. Not at him really, but at the situation! That's six weeks away!! Having a long distance relationship sucks sometimes!

And just to be fair, not everything is perfect. We have our "issues" (both individually and together) and we're dealing with them. Hopefully, they'll even get worked out. But sometimes (like today!), it seems pretty darn impossible, especially when we're only going to see each other every 4-6 weeks. But oh well. That's how it is! I can only deal with reality and the reality is we're just trying to figure it out as we go along.

2 comments:

mw said...

You know, sunshine, semantics might be an even bigger deal for you than it usually is for me. :) *BIG HUG*

Stephanie said...

It's not just semantics, it's about intentions and making sure that the words and actions match up. Both are important to me! Especially when I have to be vigilant about not wasting time with someone who isn't serious. But I'm trying to give it a little more time and make myself go with the flow, which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.