Thursday, December 21, 2006

Looking Back at my 2006 Resolutions

Looking back at the resolutions I made at the beginning of the year, I realize that they were all financial! Maybe because at the beginning of the year, I was pretty worried about that because of the upcoming divorce.

So you don't have to click back, here are the resolutions I made:

1. Continue and increase saving money outside of my retirement accounts - I have done this, but not enough. I haven't been tracking my savings and balances enough. I just know I have enough right now, but I could probably be a bit more careful and save more.

2. Write a will or living trust and a power of attorney for my medical needs - I did not do this. This will go at the top of my list for 2007 financial goals. I kind of put it off because I thought that until the divorce was final, I wouldn't be able to designate someone other than Jason to handle that stuff. I don't know even know if that was accurate. I guess I was OK with him handling it for me in case I became ill or died during the process of the divorce.

3. Start investing outside of my retirement accounts - I did finally start my investment account at Vanguard. It has continued to grow, so I've been happy with that!

4. Rebalance my 401k account quarterly - Our company changed 401(k) providers in July and I'm pretty sure I set it up to rebalance quarterly, but I will double check that to make sure that's accurate.

5. Increase the amount put in my 401(k) (ultimate goal is to max it out) - DONE!!! I maxed out my 401(k) for the year with my bonus check during the second week of December. So, the plus for me is that now for the last few checks of the year, I get bigger paychecks because there's no 401(k) deferral!

3 comments:

Mark Johnson said...

Ok, so you didn't achieve all of your goals, but the one you did at the bottom of your list carries the most weight. Maxing out your 401(k), great!!

I'm starting to pay more and more attention to my own investments, to my employer's retirement accounts, to our college savings... Just last night I got the start of my new subscription to a financial magazine, and I've been checking out some personal finance podcasts. I'm trying to get myself interested enough in the subject to make it one of my hobbies.

-Mark

Stephanie said...

I think I want to get something that would make listening to podcasts easier. I don't own an mp3 player, so maybe that's the answer?

Really, my method is to save as much as possible and then invest in index funds. So far it's seems like it's going just fine! It's too hard to keep up with all the other information that's out there.

Seth Jaffee said...

Make friends with a broker and then ask them what to do. That's what I did. Only I was smart and planned ahead - I got in real good with a kid when he was 5, so now that he's all growed up and a broker he's got my back.

:)