Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Making Stock: Part Two

Making stock has made me appreciate the ability we have nowadays (am I 85?) to just buy stock in a can. The convenience offered to people who like to cook is immense! Imagine if you lived back in colonial times. If you wanted to make some chicken noodle soup, you'd have to make this stock. Without refrigerators or even being aware of the so-called "danger zone", how did people survive?

Anyway, I digress. After I took my stock out of the fridge, it looked like this:

Stock with Schmaltz

I took off all the schmaltz and bagged it for future sauteeing and then proceeded to stir it to see if the stock had obtained the gelatinous consistency that it should. Thankfully! It had. It's hard to tell in the picture, but I tried: (hmmm... I'm having problems uploading this picture)

So, after two nights of slaving over a hot, simmering stove, I ended up with almost 3 quarts of liquid love. I can't wait to try it and hopefully, it will taste way better than anything I could get out of a can, no matter how convenient!!

The finished product!

One last word of clarification...
In my last post, I cited that the disadvantages to watching Good Eats were time and money. Time in that I spent two nights working on the stock and money in that I bought 3 fine mesh strainers to use to strain my broth. Who knew that a big fine mesh strainer could cost $15?? I had no clue! But it will be worth it in the long run because I'm sure I will need those items for future endeavors. I can already see myself sifting flour or powdered sugar this winter for cookies! :-)

1 comment:

Dawn said...

First of all, congrats on your stock. Glad to see it came out well. Second, can I borrow some stock?

Kidding, kidding. Remind me when I see you next to show you the cookbook I borrowed from the library and their take on stock. The book is The New Best Recipe cookbook. I will be trying out a recipe this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.