Monday, August 27, 2007

Declutter your life!

My goodness! I helped a friend pack up his townhouse so that he could move on Sunday and let me tell you... it was madness! Part of it is packrat tendencies, part of it is being a media whore, part of it is just plain ol' OCD.

The result? Boxes and boxes of STUFF!!! Stuff that won't matter when he dies one day, stuff that will largely go unused probably until the next time he moves, and just stuff upon stuff upon stuff!! I did have some small victories. He threw out the two feet high stack of LA Weeklys that have been there since we starting hanging out last year. He threw out some game sprues that had not yet been "filed" and about 2 years of three different magazines! Progress!

It was inspirational for me. It inspired me to whittle down the stuff *I* have and just get rid of it. My week is relatively unplanned so far and I plan on using it to do some stuff around my place, like throwing out stuff that really should be gone and donating items that could be useful to someone else. No point in me lugging it around. I figure... I've lived in my apartment for over a year. If I haven't used it, it can go! Unless, I love it, have to have it, or can't live without it. If that's the case, it stays!

Thank goodness for Flylady. My place used to look a lot more like his does, but she has really helped me to declutter my life. I'm so grateful for that. But there's still room for improvement. I followed some of her advice this weekend and got some sleep. She's always saying "Get your rest!" It really does help. I have felt so much more focused today at work and I think it's because I'm not about to fall asleep! Imagine that! It also helps me to feel calmer if I'm not rushing because I'm late because I woke up late. I'm hoping that this more sleep thing will help me get more organized at home and get me up a bit earlier for some exercising!

No comments: