Friday, November 02, 2012

Slow Carb Diet

I decided to accept Tim Ferriss' challenge to try his Slow-Carb Diet.

I started on Sunday, so it been almost six whole days. I think I've maybe lost of couple pounds. More than that, a pair of pants that I rejected on Sunday as being too tight fit better when I put them on Wednesday. They weren't loose, but they fit better because my love handles are noticeably smaller. So that is happy-making!

I've never tried a low-carb type diet before because I love, love, LOVE carbs. Pasta, rice, bread, corn, potatoes, chocolate, anything really!  But every time I've read Tim's blog post on it, I always wondered if it would actually work, so I decided to see if I could get through one day without carbs.

It was tough. I won't lie.  It didn't help that I decided to start on a Sunday to see if I could get through a single day without sugar.  Especially hard when I was going out that night for trivia at a bar with awesome garlic fries and poppers.  But I made it through.  Once I made it through that day, I decided to see if I could last a week.

And here we are, six days later.  So, even though it hasn't been an official "week" yet, Tim's Slow-Carb Diet advocates having a cheat day and he recommends Saturday, so tomorrow is my cheat day where I can eat anything I want.  I'm pretty sure I'll have a potato ball from Porto's and a Drumstick for dessert when I get home.  I'll likely throw some chocolate in there at some point too.

The weird thing is, the first two days were tough.  Sunday was the worst.  Monday was a little better, but still tough.  But since Tuesday, it's been fairly smooth sailing.  I haven't cheated once and honestly, I haven't even been that tempted.

My meals have been looking something like this:

  • Breakfast - Scrambled eggs with sauteed onions and chives and a few strips of bacon
  • Lunch - Spinach salad with chicken breast OR Mexican food (beans and meat, no tortillas)
  • Dinner - Salad (Cobb), Shrimp Creole (without rice), smashed cauliflower, and more Mexican
  • Snacks - Nuts, pickles, cheese, red wine in the evening


The nice thing is that I haven't been that hungry either.  I haven't been really monitoring my portion sizes as much as I should've.  I'll work on that next week.  And I'll work on exercising.

One of the ways you can "earn" the chance to eat carbs is if you do a 30 minute resistance training workout. I bought some resistance bands tonight at Target for $10.  I figure it's worth a shot.

I probably should've taken some "before" pictures, but I'm mainly just hoping my clothes fit better.  I doubt it will be a long-term thing, but I'll just see if I can get through another week and play it by ear.

My ideal goal is to keep it up until Thanksgiving.  With BGG.CON coming up, I'm not sure how that will work out, although we'll be in Texas where we eat our weight in meat each November, so it might not be too hard to stick with a low-carb diet.  Dallas is the perfect place for that actually.

More than "losing" weight, I just want to feel better about how my clothes are fitting and so far, we're off to a decent start.  If I throw in some exercise, I might be able to speed up the process a bit.

No comments: