Sunday, May 21, 2006

The Stand in Encino

The Stand


I went to The Stand in Encino for the first time a couple months ago. The guy working the counter was great! They are known for their hotdogs, but for some reason, I needed some red meat so when I asked the counterperson which would be better between the Blue Burger (blue cheese bacon burger) or the meatloaf, he just said, "OK, so you'll have the meatloaf and ...?" So, I took his advice and tried that and it was good! It's been a while since I had any meatloaf so it was good. And the prices are very reasonable. The meatloaf dinner was $7.95 and it came with meatloaf, mashed potatoes and a green salad (all on one sturdy paper plate) and the plate was heavy when it was delivered. I'm going to try the Blue Burger on my next visit.

We went a second time on a Monday evening because Mondays are $1 hotdog nights. I had invited a friend who declined because he said that the hotdogs weren't that great. I tried them and he was absolutely right. I wasn't crazy about them. I'd be happier eating a Hebrew National at home. I gave them a shot though since they were so inexpensive.

One thing I noticed about my visits is that our potato chips that come with the burgers and dogs were better when it was less busy on our first visit. I think they probably pre-cook a bunch of chips so that when they're busy on those $1 Mondays, they don't have to think about it. I'd recommend not going on Monday night and trying the meatloaf. Also, they have lemonade with free refills there! That was yummy too. Oh, and both times we had the brownie sundae. It was delicious!

As far as the decor, etc., they have a really nice patio area outside. The inside is small, but cute.

Here's the info:
The Stand
17000 Ventura Blvd. (just west of Balboa)
Encino, CA 91316
(818) 788-2700

No comments: